Click here to edit.
A complete list of Dr. Nicole Ennis (NB: Formerly Whitehead) publications can be found in My Bibliography
1. Bryant, V.E., Britton, M.K., Gullett, J.M., Porges, E.C., Woods, A.J., Cook, R.L., Williamson, J., Ennis, N., Bryant, K.J., Bradley, C., Cohen, R.A. (2021). Reduced Working Memory is Associated with Heavier Alcohol Consumption History, Role Impairment and Executive Function Difficulties. AIDS and Behavior. 1-8.
2. Joseph, V., Jones, A., Canidate, S., Mannes, Z., Lu, H., Ennis, N., Ibanez, G., Somboonwit, C., Cook, R. (2020). Factors associated with current health and severe pain among people living with HIV: results from a statewide sample. BMC Public Health. 1-10.
3. Mannes*, Z.L., Dunne, E.M., Ferguson, E.G., Cook, R.L. Ennis, N. (2020). Symptoms of Generalized Disorder as a Risk Factor for Substance Use among Adults Living with HIV. AIDS Care. 1-10.
4. Canidate, S.S., Cook, C. L., Varma, D., Carnaby, G.D., Ennis, N., Stetten, N., & Cook, R.L. (2020). Recruitment, experience, and retention among women with HIV and hazardous drinking participating in a clinical trial. BMC Public Health. 20, 1169.
5. Bryant, V.E., Gullett, J.M., Porges, E.C., Cook, R.L., Bryant, K.J., Woods, A.J., Williamson, J. Ennis, N., & Cohen, R.A. (2020). History of Alcohol Consumption and HIV Status Related to Functional Connectivity Differences in the Brain During Working Memory Performance. Current HIV Research. 18(3), 181-193.
6. Mannes*, Z. L., Ferguson*, E.G., Perlstein, W.M., Waxenberg, L.B., Cottler, L.B., Ennis, N+. (2020). Negative Health Consequences of pain catastrophizing among retired National Football League athletes. Health Psychology. 39(5), 452-462.
7. Dunne*, E. M., Striley, C. W., Mannes*, Z. L., Asken, B. M., Ennis, N. F. W., & Cottler, L. B. (2020). Reasons for Prescription Opioid Use While Playing in the National Football League as Risk Factors for Current Use and Misuse Among Former Players. Clinical journal of sport medicine, 30(6), 544-549.
8. Ennis, N., Cartagena, G. (2019). Therapeutic writing as a tool to facilitate therapeutic process in the context of living with HIV: A case study examining partner loss. Psychotherapy. 57(1), 68-74.
9. Chichetto, N. E., Mannes*, Z. L., Allen, M. K., Cook, R. L., & Ennis, N+. (2019). HIV care provider perceptions and approaches to managing unhealthy alcohol use in primary HIV care settings: a qualitative study. Addiction science & clinical practice, 14(1), 1-11.
10. Dunne*, E. M., Cook, R. L., & Ennis, N+. (2019). Non-planning Impulsivity But Not Behavioral Impulsivity is Associated with HIV Medication Non-adherence. AIDS and Behavior, 23(5), 1297-1305.
11. Ferguson*, E. G., Mannes*, Z. L., & Ennis, N+. (2019). Is marijuana use associated with lower inflammation? Results from waves III and IV of the national longitudinal study of adolescent to adult health. Drug and alcohol dependence, 198, 162-167.
12. Mannes*, Z. L., Hearn*, L. E., Zhou, Z., Janelle, J. W., Cook, R. L., & Ennis, N+. (2019). The association between symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder and appointment adherence, overnight hospitalization, and emergency department/urgent care visits among adults living with HIV enrolled in care. Journal of behavioral medicine, 42(2), 330-341.
13. Mannes*, Z. L., Bryant, V. E., Burrell*, L. E., Lu, H., Ferguson*, E. G., Zhou, Z., ... & Ennis, N+. (2019). The prevalence and patterns of substance use by birth cohort among HIV-positive adults in Florida. Aging & mental health, 23(4), 515-523.
14. Jones, A. A., Gerke, T., Ennis, N., Striley, C. W., Crecelius, R., Sullivan, J. E., & Cottler, L. B. (2019). Order in the court? The association between substance use, exposure to violence, risky sexual behaviors & observed court behaviors among women involved in the criminal justice system. Journal of the National Medical Association, 111(2), 134-147.
15. Mannes, Z. L., Waxenberg, L. B., Perlstein, W. M., Burrell, L. E. II, Ferguson, E. G., Edwards, M. E.,
Ennis, N. (2019). Prevalence and Correlates of Psychological Distress among Retired Elite Athletes: A
Systemic Review. International Review of Sport and Exercise Psychology. 12(1):265-294.
16. Ennis, N., Bryant, V., & Mannes*, Z. (2019). Value of perceived support on depressive symptoms and hazardous drinking among underserved HIV+ adults 50 and older. Psychology, health & medicine, 24(3), 355-361.
17. Wijayabahu, A. T., Zhou, Z., Cook, R. L., Brumback, B., Ennis, N., & Yaghjyan, L. (2019). Healthy behavioral choices and cancer screening in persons living with HIV/AIDS are different by sex and years since HIV diagnosis. Cancer Causes & Control, 30(3), 281-290.
18. Chichetto, N. E., Plankey, M. W., Abraham, A. G., Sheps, D. S., Ennis, N., Chen, X., ... & Cook, R. L. (2019). The Impact of Past and Current Alcohol Consumption Patterns on Progression of Carotid Intima‐Media Thickness Among Women and Men Living with HIV Infection. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 43(4), 695-703.
19. Wippold, G.M., Tucker, C.M., Smith, T.M., Ennis, N., Kang, S., Guastello, A.D., ... Desmond, F.F. (2019). An Examination of Health-Promoting Behaviors Among Hispanic Adults Using an Activation and Empowerment Approach. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action 13(1), 9-17.
20. Jones, A. A., Gerke, T., Striley, C. W., Osborne, V., Whitehead, N., & Cottler, L. B. (2019). A longitudinal analysis of the substance abuse, violence, and HIV/AIDS (SAVA) syndemic among women in the criminal justice system. Journal of psychoactive drugs, 51(1), 58-67.
21. Cook, C. L., Canidate, S., Ennis, N., & Cook, R. L. (2018). Types and delivery of emotional support to promote linkage and engagement in HIV care. Patient preference and adherence, 12, 45.
22. Mannes*, Z. L., Ferguson*, E. G., Burrell*, L. E., Cook, R. L., & Ennis, N+. (2018). Brief report: the association between recreational versus therapeutic marijuana use on hazardous alcohol consumption and alcohol-associated behavioral consequences among adults living with HIV in Florida. Harm reduction journal, 15(1), 61.
23. Mannes*, Z. L., Burrell*, L. E., II, E. G. F., Zhou, Z., Lu, H., Somboonwit, C., ... & Ennis, N+. (2018). The association of therapeutic versus recreational marijuana use and antiretroviral adherence among adults living with HIV in Florida. Patient preference and adherence, 12, 1363.
24. Kelso-Chichetto, N. E., Plankey, M., Abraham, A. G., Ennis, N., Chen, X., Bolan, R., & Cook, R. L. (2018). Association between alcohol consumption trajectories and clinical profiles among women and men living with HIV. The American journal of drug and alcohol abuse, 44(1), 85-94.
25. Jones, A. A., Gerke, T., Striley, C. W., Whitehead, N., Osborne, V., & Cottler, L. B. (2018). One step at a time: a latent transitional analysis on changes in substance use, exposure to violence, and HIV/AIDS risk behaviors among female offenders. American journal of criminal justice, 43(3), 471-485.
26. Tucker, C. M., Smith, T. M., Wippold, G. M., Whitehead, N. E., Morrissette, T. A., Williams, J. L., ... & Crosier, B. S. (2017). Impact of a university-community partnership approach to improving health behaviors and outcomes among overweight/obese Hispanic adults. American journal of lifestyle medicine, 11(6), 479-488.
27. Feldman, E. B., Balise, R., Schiff, E., Whitehead, N., & Thomas, E. (2017). Barriers to hepatitis C screening in a minority population: a comparison of hepatitis C and human immunodeficiency virus screening rates at a community STD clinic in Miami, Florida. Journal of community health, 42(5), 921-925.
28. Cook, R. L., Zhou, Z., Kelso-Chichetto, N. E., Janelle, J., Morano, J. P., Somboonwit, C., ... & Ennis, N. (2017). Alcohol consumption patterns and HIV viral suppression among persons receiving HIV care in Florida: an observational study. Addiction science & clinical practice, 12(1), 22.
29. Kacel, E. L., Ennis, N., & Pereira, D. B. (2017). Narcissistic personality disorder in clinical health psychology practice: case studies of comorbid psychological distress and life-limiting illness. Behavioral Medicine, 43(3), 156-164.
30. Diggins*, A. D., Hearn*, L. E., Lechner, S. C., Annane, D., Antoni, M. H., & Whitehead, N. E.+. (2017). Physical activity in Black breast cancer survivors: implications for quality of life and mood at baseline and 6‐month follow‐up. Psycho‐oncology, 26(6), 822-828.
31. Mannes*, Z. L., Burrell* II, L. E., Dunne*, E. M., Hearn*, L. E., & Whitehead, N. E. (2017). Contextualizing psychosocial determinants of alcohol use by age cohorts of adults living with HIV, ages 50 and older. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 28(2), 279-288.
32. Whitehead, N. E. (2017). Commentary on Des Jarlais et al.(2017): Robust public health policies as a way forward in the HIV epidemic. Addiction (Abingdon, England), 112(2), 299.
33. Coatsworth, A. M., Scheidell, J. D., Wohl, D. A., Whitehead, N. E., Golin, C. E., Judon-Monk, S., & Khan, M. R. (2017). HIV-related sexual risk among African American men preceding incarceration: associations with support from significant others, family, and friends. Journal of Urban Health, 94(1), 136-148.
34. Okafor, C. N., Zhou, Z., Burrell*, L. E., Kelso, N. E., Whitehead, N. E., Harman, J. S., ... & Cook, R. L. (2017). Marijuana use and viral suppression in persons receiving medical care for HIV-infection. The American journal of drug and alcohol abuse, 43(1), 103-110.
35. Trenz, R. C., Scherer, M., Whitehead, N. E., & Latimer, W. W. (2016). Alcohol use severity and sexual risk behavior among female substance users. Substance use & misuse, 51(13), 1716-1723.
36. Mannes*, Z. L., Burrell*, L. E., Bryant, V. E., Dunne*, E. M., Hearn*, L. E., & Whitehead, N. E+. (2016). Loneliness and substance use: The influence of gender among HIV+ Black/African American adults 50+. AIDS Care, 28(5), 598-602.
37. James, D. C., Harville, C., Whitehead, N., Stellefson, M., Dodani, S., & Sears, C. (2016). Willingness of African American women to participate in e-Health/m-Health research. Telemedicine and e-Health, 22(3), 191-197.
38. Hearn*, L. E., Whitehead, N. E., Dunne*, E. M., & Latimer, W. W. (2015). Correlates of trichomonas vaginalis among middle age and older adults who use drugs. Substance use & misuse, 50(12), 1501-1509.
39. Dunne*, E. M., Burrell*, L. E., Diggins*, A. D., Whitehead, N. E., & Latimer, W. W. (2015). Increased risk for substance use and health‐related problems among homeless veterans. The American journal on addictions, 24(7), 676-680.
40. Hill-Jarrett, T., Whitehead, N., Bauer, R., Huggins-Manley, A., & Cohen, R. (2015). C-95 Rasch Analysis of the Frontal Systems Behavior Scale (FrSBe) in a Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Sample. Archives of Clinical Neuropsychology, 30(6), 597-598.
41. Bryant, V. E., Whitehead, N. E., Burrell*, L. E., Dotson, V. M., Cook, R. L., Malloy, P., ... & Cohen, R. A. (2015). Depression and apathy among people living with HIV: implications for treatment of HIV associated neurocognitive disorders. AIDS and Behavior, 19(8), 1430-1437.
42. Hearn*, L. E., Whitehead, N. E., Khan, M. R., & Latimer, W. W. (2015). Time since release from incarceration and HIV risk behaviors among women: The potential protective role of committed partners during re-entry. AIDS and Behavior, 19(6), 1070-1077.
43. Whitehead, N. E., & Hearn*, L. E. (2015). Psychosocial interventions addressing the needs of Black women diagnosed with breast cancer: a review of the current landscape. Psycho‐Oncology, 24(5), 497-507.
44. Lechner, S. C., Whitehead, N. E., Vargas, S., Annane, D. W., Robertson, B. R., Carver, C. S., ... & Antoni, M. H. (2014). Does a community-based stress management intervention affect psychological adaptation among underserved black breast cancer survivors?. Journal of the National Cancer Institute Monographs, 2014(50), 315-322.
45. Keen II, L., Whitehead, N. E., Clifford, L., Rose, J., & Latimer, W. (2014). Perceived barriers to treatment in a community-based sample of illicit-drug-using African American men and women. Journal of psychoactive drugs, 46(5), 444-449.
46. Whitehead, N. E., Hearn*, L., Trenz, R. C., Burrell*, L. E., & Latimer, W. W. (2014). Age cohort differences in illicit drug use and hepatitis C among African American substance users. Journal of addictive diseases, 33(4), 314-321.
47. Keen II, L., Dyer, T. P., Whitehead, N. E., & Latimer, W. (2014). Binge drinking, stimulant use and HIV risk in a sample of illicit drug using heterosexual Black men. Addictive behaviors, 39(9), 1342-1345.
48. Whitehead, N. E., Hearn*, L. E., & Burrell*, L. (2014). The association between depressive symptoms, anger, and perceived support resources among underserved older HIV positive Black/African American adults. AIDS patient care and STDs, 28(9), 507-512.
49. Jose Miguez-Burbano, M., Espinoza, L., Ennis-Whitehead, N., E Bryant, V., Vargas, M., L Cook, R., ... & Deshratan, A. (2014). Brain derived neurotrophic factor and cognitive status: the delicate balance among people living with HIV, with and without alcohol abuse. Current HIV research, 12(4), 254-264.
50. Whitehead, N. E., Hearn*, L. E., Marsiske, M., Kahn, M. R., & Latimer, W. W. (2014). Awareness of biologically confirmed HCV among a community residing sample of drug users in Baltimore city. Journal of community health, 39(3), 487-493.
51. Whitehead, N. E., Trenz, R. C., Keen, L., Rose, J., & Latimer, W. W. (2014). Younger versus older African Americans: patterns and prevalence of recent illicit drug use. Journal of ethnicity in substance abuse, 13(2), 126-138.
52. Lopez, C. R., Antoni, M. H., Seay, J., Potter, J., O'Sullivan, M., Fletcher, M. A., ... & Whitehead, N. (2013). Stress Management, Depression, and Immune Status in Lower‐Income Racial/Ethnic Minority Women Co‐infected with HIV and HPV. Journal of applied biobehavioral research, 18(1), 37-57.
53. Lechner, S. C., Ennis-Whitehead, N., Robertson, B. R., Annane, D. W., Vargas, S., Carver, C. S., & Antoni, M. H. (2013). Adaptation of a psycho-oncology intervention for black breast cancer survivors: project CARE. The Counseling Psychologist, 41(2), 286-312.
54. Jensen, S. E., Pereira, D. B., Whitehead, N., Buscher, I., McCalla, J., Andrasik, M., ... & Antoni, M. H. (2013). Cognitive–behavioral stress management and psychological well-being in HIV+ racial/ethnic minority women with human papillomavirus. Health Psychology, 32(2), 227.
55. Antoni, M. H., Pereira, D. B., Marion, I., Ennis, N., Andrasik, M. P., Rose, R., ... & Efantis-Potter, J. (2008). Stress management effects on perceived stress and cervical neoplasia in low-income HIV-infected women. Journal of psychosomatic research, 65(4), 389-401.
56. Rose, R. C., Peake, M. R., Ennis, N., Pereira, D. B., & Antoni, M. H. (2005). Depressive symptoms, intrusive thoughts, sleep quality and sexual quality of life in women co-infected with human immunodeficiency virus and human papillomavirus. Chronic illness, 1(4), 281-287.
57. Druley, J. A., Stephens, M. A. P., Martire, L. M., Ennis, N., & Wojno, W. C. (2003). Emotional congruence in older couples coping with wives' osteoarthritis: Exacerbating effects of pain behavior. Psychology and Aging, 18(3), 406.
58. Hobfoll, S. E., Johnson, R. J., Ennis, N., & Jackson, A. P. (2003). Resource loss, resource gain, and emotional outcomes among inner city women. Journal of personality and social psychology, 84(3), 632.
59. Ennis, N. E., Hobfoll, S. E., & Schröder, K. E. (2000). Money doesn't talk, it swears: How economic stress and resistance resources impact inner‐city women's depressive mood. American Journal of Community Psychology, 28(2), 149-173.
60. MacKenzie, J. E., Hobfoll, S. E., Ennis, N., Kay, J., Jackson, A., & Lavin, J. (1999). Reducing AIDS risk among inner‐city women: a review of the Collectivist Empowerment AIDS Prevention (CE‐AP) Program. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 13(3), 166-174.
61. Ennis, N. E. (1998). The impact of economic stress, mastery, and social support on depressive mood among inner-city women (Doctoral dissertation, Kent State University).